By Karen Burns Booth www.lavenderandlovage.comPrint this recipe
A great tray bake which can be cut up for snacks, or portioned up and served hot with cream for a pudding. Can be frozen in slices.
100g margarine or butter
150g caster sugar
2 free-range eggs, beaten
100mls fresh milk
225g sifted self-raising flour
1/2 jar of Mackays Rhubarb & Ginger Preserve
75g soft brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
6 small crystallised ginger balls, cut into small pieces
50g chopped mixed nuts
Rhubarb & Ginger Preserve
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 28 x 18 (11" x 7") cake tin. Make the nutty streusel mixture by rubbing the butter into the flour and then adding the sugar, ground ginger, crystallised ginger pieces and the chopped nuts - set to one side until needed.
- Cream the margarine or butter together with the sugar until light and fluffy, and then add the beaten eggs with the milk.
- Fold in the flour and mix well.
- Spoon half of the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin. Drop spoons of the rhubarb and ginger preserve over the cake mixture and then scatter half of the nutty streusel mixture over the top of the jam.
- Cover with the remaining cake mixture and then the rest of the nutty streusel mixture and bake for 40 minutes, or until the cake is well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin before cutting into squares and serving with tea or coffee.
This cake is also perfect for picnics, lunch boxes and when warmed up and served as a pudding cake.