Lime, Lemon and Coconut Drizzle Loaf
By Pass The Mixing Bowl www.passthemixingbowl.comPrint this recipe
The addition of coconut to this loaf cake gives a great taste of summer. Can easily be sliced up to share with a group.
200 g caster sugar
220 g self-raising flour
100 g butter
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
100 ml milk
Zest of 1 lime
4 tbsp Lime &amp;amp;amp;amp; Lemon Marmalade
25 g coconut, toasted
For the topping
50 g caster sugar
Juice of 1 lime + zest
Juice of 1 lemon + zest
15 g coconut, toasted
Lime & Lemon Marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4. Place the coconut for the cake into a small baking tray along with the coconut for the topping in a separate tray and toast for 5-8 mins, until lightly golden brown. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment or use a loaf liner (much easier!).
- Sift together the flour and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs, making sure the mixture does not curdle.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat together. Then add the zests, coconut and marmalade, beating to combine. Finally, add the milk gradually while beating the mix.
- Pour into the prepared tin and beat in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the cake is golden, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- 10 minutes before the cake is ready to come out of the oven, begin making the topping; add the juice from the lemon and lime with 50g caster sugar to a small pan, bring it to the boil then simmer for 2 mins – make sure it doesn’t burn!
- When the cake comes out of the oven, pierce it with a knife, then pour over the hot syrup mixture. By doing so, it allows the cake to absorb it all the way through.
- Finally, scatter with the lemon and lime zest and toasted coconut and allow to finish cooling on a wire rack.